Saturday, November 3, 2012

Spicy Cornbread Casserole


I had every intention tonight of blogging about two of the dips Sue and I made for Halloween. I'm trying to get this year's Halloween recipes done so we can start focusing on Christmas and Holiday treats. (Holy! Where does the time go?)
But then I made this casserole and my plans went to heck.
I knew I had to share this lickety-split while the deliciousness was still fresh in my memory.
If you are a fan of cornbread then you have to try this.
HAVE TO.
I'm pretty sure if you don't then you will wander the earth for the rest of your life never knowning true happiness.
You know...or not...but who wants to take that risk?

Spicy Cornbread Casserole

Ingredients
Beef Layer
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp taco seasoning
1/2 cup water

Cornbread
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (I use Tex Mex blend)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Toppings #1
1 cup black beans
1 cup corn
1 cup shredded cheese (I use Tex Mex blend)

Toppings #2
tomato, diced
green onion, chopped
lettuce, shredded
cheese, shredded
sour cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
Beef Layer - Place medium frying pan over medium/high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add beef, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook until beef is brown. Add taco seasoning and water. Let simmer over medium/low heat until water is almost completely absorbed. Remove from heat while you make the cornbread.
Cornbread - In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sour cream, shredded cheese, butter, and sugar.
In a small bowl, whisk together salt, cayenne pepper, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Batter may be a little lumpy. Spread into prepared 9 X 13 pan. 


Top with beef mixture. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the beef out of the frying pan so you don't get too much excess liquid (if there is any!).


Top with black beans, corn, and shredded cheese.


Place in preheated oven and bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes, until cornbread is done.


Cut desired piece and put on a serving plate.


Top with your favorite toppings.


I put sour cream on mine too put I forgot to get a photo of that on there. I was too excited to taste it.
Let me just say...this is one of my new favorites.
If you want to go even spicier then you could add some chopped jalapenos to the cornbread before baking too!
The texture of the cornbread is perfect with beef and black bean/corn, plus ALL those toppings. It's like a party in your mouth.
No...really...
I may have seen some fireworks and I am pretty sure I heard music.

Stop by Carole's Chatter for tons of fabulous links!

No comments:

Post a Comment