Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Single Serving Granola Bar

 
I admit it.
I have a problem with portion control.
Basically...if it's there...I will eat it.
I've been discovering a whole bunch of single serving recipes that have been really helpful in that department. (If you look to the side of the blog under "Labels" you will see "Single Serving", you can find them under that.)
I decide to try and make a single serving granola bar for my mid-afternoon snack. I think I was fairly successful. It makes one cute little bar that is very tasty.
This would be perfect for the pre or post workout snack as well - you know, if you do the whole "working out" thing.
I'm trying.
Okay...I'm not trying very hard....but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a treat.
 
 
Single Serving Granola Bar
 
Ingredients
1 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp quinoa flakes
2 Tbsp Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 tsp flax
1/2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips (or mini M&Ms)
 
Directions
In a small bowl, place peanut butter and maple syrup. Heat in microwave for 20 - 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
Add in quinoa, Rice Krispies, flax, and chocolate chips. Stir until well combined.
Place a piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Spoon mixture onto center of plastic wrap. Using sides of plastic wrap, press firmly into a bar.
Wrap in the plastic and refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
 
A couple of notes about this recipe.
1.) use scant tablespoons for the quinoa and Rice Krispies.
2. ) use a generous tablespoon for the peanut butter
3.) if you are going to try and shape this using your hands you will want to get them wet first. It is fairly sticky and you will go crazy trying to get it off your hands and still maintain its shape. I found using the plastic wrap to shape it and press it worked much better.
4.) you can use honey or agave instead of maple syrup
5.) you can sub 1/2 Tbsp of nuts or dried fruit instead of the chocolate if you prefer.
6.) you can sub the quinoa flakes with quick oats
 
I tried it with more quinoa flakes and Rice Krispies (3 Tbsp each instead of 2) and this was the result:
 
 
It fell apart (read: crumbled)  as soon as I unwrapped it after it had chilled. It tasted good but was too dry.
If you find it to be too dry then add a bit more peanut butter and/or maple syrup.
As written above the recipe is:
197 calories
26 carbs
9 fat
6 protein.
It's cute, right?
This would probably be great for breakfast on the go too.
I love that it only makes 1. That means I can't sit there and eat the whole pan.
Plus, it's pretty healthy as far as snacks go.
I mean - peanut butter, quinoa flakes, flax? There are worse things out there. :)
 
Stop by Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and Ms. enPlace for some very cool links!

1 comment:

  1. "eat the whole pan"
    Too funny!

    Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete